Our core psychiatry programme offers about 57 specialty training posts across the CT1-3 years. Posts are provided by six NHS Trusts within the Thames Valley and the programme provides a broad range of clinical experience in both hospital and community locations. All core trainees will spend part of their clinical training in an Oxford-based post but the allocation process allows for flexibility and choice across geographical areas. Trainees will also spend 6 months in either a Child and Adolescent or Intellectual Disability post to ensure the achievement of developmental competencies. Trainees in the Thames Valley Programmes have access to centres of world class research and medical education.
The Programme has close links with the University of Oxford. All trainees will attend the Oxford Postgraduate Psychiatry Course (OPPC) hosted by the University Department of Psychiatry at the Warneford Hospital in Oxford. This course provides a stimulating and thorough grounding in the basic and clinical sciences relevant to psychiatry and supports trainees preparing for the MRCPsych examinations. The lecture programme is complimented by weekly tutorials hosted by four Honorary Teaching Fellows and online resources. All trainees registered for and attending the OPPC will have access to the university libraries and online journals. Clinical trainees are often inspired and supported to develop research interests in the core years.
The core programme welcomes and supports Academic Clinical Fellows appointed to any of the psychiatry specialties through the Integrated Academic Training (IAT) partnerships. Academic trainees will be supported by the Oxford University Clinical Academic School (OUCAGS) and close liaison between the clinical and academic schools ensures achievement of both academic and clinical excellence. Opportunities for locally funded academic clinical fellowships may also be available. ACF trainees run through into their appointed higher training programme on completion of their core competencies.
Trainees who are considering applying to core psychiatry training are welcome to contact the training programme directors for further information and advice.
Core psychiatry training programme director: Matthew Lowe – firstname.lastname@example.org
Training Sites for Core Psychiatry
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust (for Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire posts).
· DME – Dr Alastair Reid – email@example.com
· College Tutor (Bucks) – David Welchew – firstname.lastname@example.org
· College Tutor (Bucks) – Theodoros Bargiotas – email@example.com
· College Tutor (Oxford) – Kathleen Kelly – Kathleen.firstname.lastname@example.org
Main hospital sites:
· Warneford Hospital
· Littlemore Mental Health Centre
· The Fulbrook Centre
· The Whiteleaf Centre, Aylesbury
· Marlborough House, Milton Keynes
· Wallingford Community Hospital
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust (for Berkshire posts).
· DME – Garyfallia Fountoulaki – email@example.com
· College Tutor – Sanjoo Chengappa – firstname.lastname@example.org
· College Tutor – Raja Natarajan – email@example.com
· College Tutor – David McDonald – firstname.lastname@example.org
Main hospital sites:
· Prospect Park Hospital, Reading
· Wokingham Community Hospital, Wokingham
· Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading (psychological medicine/liaison posts)
Central& Northwest London NHS Foundation Trust (for Milton Keynes posts).
Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust (Learning Disability posts only).
· DME – Kunle Ashaye – email@example.com
· College Tutor – Sadgun Bhandari
· College Tutor – Sarah Cohen
Main hospital site:
· Anglo Office Park, High Wycombe