In July 2019, NHS Employers, the British Medical Association and Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) agreed to reflect provisions in the terms and conditions of service for NHS Doctors and Dentists in Training (England) for additional mileage/expenses for GP trainees. This provision allows doctors working in GP practices to be reimbursed for certain travel costs where they are required to use their personal vehicle for home visits.
Schedule 11 para 16 within the T&Cs states:
Doctors working in a GP practice setting who are required to use their own vehicle on the expectation that home visits may be required to be undertaken shall be reimbursed for the cost of mileage from home to principal place of work, and any associated allowances.
In November 2020 additional guidance on the payment of home to base mileage was issued by NHS Employers alongside an agreement with NHS England (NHSE) on funding these claims including retrospective claims for the period 6 September 2019 – 27 November 2020.
- NHSE will fund all back dated GP mileage claims between 6 September 2019 and 27 November 2020.
- The mileage will be paid at 28p per mile and there is no cap on eligible mileage.
- Claims for the above mileage are only applicable for GP Trainees whilst based within a GP Practice
- Trainees cannot claim for any home to base miles that have already been claimed under the NHSE Removal and Excess Mileage.
- From 28 November 2020 NHSE will only reimburse cost of mileage and associated expenses for an average of three days a week during the reference period/rotation.
- A Practice may reimburse trainees if they wish them to undertake more than the three-day home visit average, but this will not be reimbursed by NHSE.
- Work schedules should prospectively reflect when home visits will be expected to be undertaken
GP Trainees (employed by Lead Employer)
All claims (current or retrospective) should be made through the Lead Employer (Mersey and West Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, formerly St Helens and Knowsley Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust). Please refer to the information on their webpages.