Relocation and Excess Travel
On 1 November 2020 NHS England (previously Health Education England (HEE)) published the new national framework for providing assistance with relocation expenses. Initially this framework only applied to trainees who commenced a training programme from 5 August 2020 with those in programmes which started prior to this date remaining on the previous local policy.
With effect from 1 April 2021 all trainees are subject to the new framework (including Dental Core and Specialty Trainees). The new framework has improved provisions including: an increased maximum sum that can be reimbursed (£10,000 instead of £8,000), removal of homeowner requirement for excess mileage claims and a reduction in the distance before excess mileage can be claimed (now only 17 miles each way).
All claims under the framework must be made direct to your employing Trust unless otherwise specified.
Claims must be submitted within 3 months of the costs being incurred.
Trainee employed by Oxford University Hospitals NHS FT or Buckinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust will claim via UHB (University Hospitals Birmingham). The initial application form must be completed ahead of claiming but please note that you will not receive a response until you have submitted your first claim.
How To Claim
- Check the framework to see if/what you may be entitled to claim for, clarification should be sought from your employing Trust in the first instance.
- Request approval to claim in advance via email or by sending in the initial application form where this is provided. Claims submitted without prior approval will not be processed.
- Once you have sought and received approval ensure you claim within the specified timeframes (within 3 months of incurring the costs) and provide the required evidence.
- Submit the claim forms to the relevant email address / online expenses system.
Declaring Previous Claims
- You are required to declare any payments you have already received under any former relocation or expenses policy or the new Framework.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you do not claim over and above your entitlement or claim for any expenses for which you have already received re-imbursement via another route. Knowingly providing false information may result in disciplinary action and potentially prosecution.
- To assist with this if you are not sure of previous claim details please check with your previous employing Trust/s or, for those trainees whose were employed in Trusts within the TV region prior to April 2021, this information can be requested by emailing email@example.com
- NHSE Thames Valley will be support Trusts and will work with them to verify previous claim information.
- If you feel that you have been unfairly treated in relation to a claim, then you may appeal to the Postgraduate Dean.
- To submit an appeal please complete the attached form setting out reasons for your appeal and include any relevant evidence.
- If you have any further questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org