Consultants in the centres are approachable and give on the job teaching and feedback in inpatient and outpatient settings.
In addition to specialist grade regional teaching held monthly, there are regular 6 monthly regional day meetings for consultants and registrars; and audit, research, journal clubs and grand round teaching, within each centre. Trainees also attend monthly GIM teaching sessions in Oxford.
Study leave to attend national and international meetings is encouraged.
Within the region there is special expertise and training in:
- Respiratory physiology
- Asthma and difficult airways; COPD
- Sleep disorders
- Lung immunology and interstitial lung disease
- Pleural disease and Thoracoscopy
- Clinical trials and Epidemiology
- Lung infection and TB; Cystic fibrosis
- Lung cancer, respiratory oncology and interventional bronchoscopy
- Respiratory Radiology
There are manifold opportunities for research and most trainees have progressed to complete higher degrees by taking out of programme experience in research OOPR. Currently we have registrars involved in research in all areas of special expertise listed above within Oxford University Clinical Research Unit and OUH hospitals.