HEE recognises that trainees take time out their training programme for a number of reasons, such as parental leave, OOP, carers leave and sickness. Returning to training, regardless of the reason, can be a difficult and stressful time for trainees.
We are committed to supporting trainees to return to training after a period of extended absence (3 months or longer). The Supported Return to Training (SuppoRTT) initiative aims to support trainees with their confidence, skills and knowledge so that they can safely and confidently return to practice within their training programme. Trainees absent for less than three months may also opt in to the programme.
SuppoRTT During Covid-19
HEE Thames Valley is continuing to support trainees returning to work during the Covid-19 pandemic. We advise trainees to continue to plan their return and discuss returning to work with their Educational Supervisor (or TPD/Clinical Supervisor/College Tutor). The SuppoRTT team are available via email to answer any queries trainees or educators may have during this time.
A series of knowledge refresher webinars have been recorded specifically for returners.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
Prior to Return to Training
Trainees who have taken a period of absence for 3 months or more will need to complete a return to training plan as follows:
- We recommend that you discuss your return to training with your Educational Supervisor/Training Programme Director around 12 weeks before your anticipated return date.
- You can discuss a supervised return, your learning needs and any courses/activities that may help with your return to training.
- Complete a ‘Return to Training Pre-Return form’ with your Educational Supervisor detailing your plan for returning to training, including any courses you wish to attend, and your anticipated return date.
- Return the forms to your Training Programme Director and to HEE Thames Valley (via firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Once you have returned to your training post you should review your return period and progress with your Educational Supervisor.