Leaving training?

When you complete or leave your training programme you will need to update your Designated Body status on your GMC online account – you will not be able to stay connected to NHSE Education Thames Valley.

The GMC has an online tool to help doctors identify the appropriate Designated Body.

Generally, outside of formal training posts, most doctors will have a connection with their employing Trust. The main exceptions to this are:

  • GPs (substantive or locum) – their connection will be with the relevant local office of NHS England.
  • Doctors doing locum work via an agency – usually the connection will be with the locum agency or an ‘umbrella’ organisation that acts as the Designated Body.
  • Doctors working in one of the armed forces – the connection will be with the relevant body e.g. Royal Navy.

Other things to remember

Ensure you have access to your final or most recent ARCP outcome form as this is your evidence of engagement with revalidation and you will need provide this to your new Designated Body.

Engage early with your new Designated Body to understand what their appraisal requirements are and the evidence you will need to collect.

Taking a break from medicine or practising overseas?

If you are not working clinically in the UK or will be going to work in a different country then you are advised to consider relinquishing your licence, please refer to the GMC guidance. Please note however that you are required to hold and retain your licence to practice during and until the end of your formal training or employment contract.

We have produced a guide to help doctors understand how GMC registration, licencing and revalidation works. You may find this useful if you are planning a ‘year out’ between formal training programmes.

GMC Video Guidance on revalidation for new consultants and doctors who are not in a formal training programme